ERR

Thu Feb 8 23:57:20 UTC 2001

I still say 'err' to rhyme with 'Ur' of the Chaldees (and with 'purr'), but
not with 'Ur-' meaning 'proto' (I like Herb's suggestion of just using
'proto-', since few undergrads and grads know the German origin of the
prefix).  Then again, how many know the Ur of the Chaldees reference?  And
we rhyme it with 'err' (if we do) presumably only because of Sunday
school/Bible school training, right?  Who else would ever use the term?  In
any case, I pronounce three of the following four differently:  error, err,
Ur, Ur-.  And since Ur of the Chaldees is really not meaningful to me,
while the other three are, I'll kick it out.