ERR

David M. Robertson dmsnake at USIT.NET
Fri Feb 9 03:09:09 UTC 2001

Dick Heaberlin wrote:

> I also had a teacher insist on this pronunciation. The prevailing
> pronunciation in East Texas was with /E/.  It didn't rhyme with "air,"
> which was pronounced  with /ae/.
>
> Dick Heaberlin
> Southwest Texas State University,
> which is, of course, in Central Texas.

Bingo! When and where I grew up (Virginia, 50s-60s) the prevailing
pronunciation was with the /E/. That is the pronunciation I still use.
Close, but NOT the same as "air," though that disinction may be
disappearing in some areas. The "Chaldees" pronunciation of "err" has
always sounded to me schoolmarmish or affected.

   Snake