Maid-Rite (Iowa "sloppy joes")

Greg Roberts groberts at ANSWERLOGIC.COM
Fri Feb 9 14:31:41 UTC 2001

<Ron Butters>
I grew up in eastern Iowa (1940-58 Cedar Rapids; 1958-1967 Iowa City) and
never heard any of these terms except Maid Rite, which was indeed just as
Barry describes it. There were at least two Maid-Rite diners in Cedar Rapids
when I was in high school, and my friends and I loved them. My mother tried
to duplicate the recipe at home, and we called the results "maidrites,"
though the flavor was never quite the same. My memory is that the folks in
the restaurant somehow steamed hamburger. The diner chain doesn't seem to be
in business any more, though, and I wonder if the term is still used.
</RonButters>

I grew up in Central Illinois (Peoria, 1972-1992), and Maid-Rites, the
restaurants and the sandwiches, are still alive and well.  My father and I
would go to Maid-Rite about once a week when I was in grade school.

<Ron Butters>
One other Iowa sandwich that is somewhat regional is the pork tenderloin
sandwich, which consists of a boneless piece of pork pounded thin, breaded,
and deep-fat fried.
</Ron Butters>

I wouldn't necessarily call a tenderloin an "Iowa sandwich" either, more
like a "Midwestern sandwich".  But it does seem to be regional.

Generally, I know I'll like a person if they know of Maid-Rite, Steak 'n
Shake, and tenderloins.

BTW, Ron, do you fold the meat over, or eat the over-hang around the bun?

Not much of a health food nut,
Greg Roberts