Re Texas toast, &c

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Mon Feb 12 09:20:59 UTC 2001

--On Sunday, February 11, 2001 11:23 pm +0800 Laurence Horn
<laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

> At 6:28 PM -0500 2/11/01, sagehen wrote:
>> Mark O. writes:
>>> My great disappointment was my first trip to London, checking out the
>> Sainsbury on Putney High Street, and discovering that Schweppe's Ginger
>> Ale was labelled as 'American style ginger ale'.<
>>
>> My great disappointment, the last time I was in England, in the early
>> 70's, was that the wonderful ginger beer (in stoneware bottles) that had
>> been available five or six years earlier, had disappeared in favor of
>> that very "American style ginger ale." Not the same thing at all.
>> A. Murie

Ginger beer is easily available here--though not in stoneware bottles.  The
thing that drives me crazy is that 'American style ginger ale' here doesn't
taste like anything good from the US.  It's not a pale dry, neither is it a
dark sweet (like Vernor's).  It's kind of like the really cheap store brand
stuff.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics