why Oriental is offensive

Herb Stahlke HSTAHLKE at GW.BSU.EDU
Mon Feb 12 17:08:08 UTC 2001

In the Ontario town of Lions Head, on Georgian Bay right near our
cottage, there is a clothing store that caters to tourists, many
of them American, called J. Canuck's.  I don't think it's
non-Canadian use that is offensive as much as it is the context of
use.

Herb

>>> laurence.horn at YALE.EDU 02/11/01 09:39PM >>>
At 7:19 AM -0800 2/12/01, James Smith wrote:
>--- Mark Odegard <markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
>>  I once had an online contretemps with someone when I
>>  used 'Canuck'. I was
>>  accused of being anti-Canadian.
>>
>My admittedly limited experience is that, like many
>other racial or ethnic designators, 'canuck' is a word
>freely and shamelessly used for self-reference within
>the group but forbidden to be used by outsiders.

Except, presumably, by fans of the Vancouver National Hockey
League franchise.

larry