FW: drylongso

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Mon Feb 19 16:03:07 UTC 2001

Another occurrence is in Robert Johnson's "Come On In My Kitchen", Take 1,
recorded in 1936:

When a woman gets in trouble, everybody throws her down
Lookin' for her good friend, none can be found
You better come on in my kitchen, it's goin' to be rainin' outdoors
Winter time's comin', it's gon' be slow
You can't make the winter, babe, that's dry long so
You better come on in my kitchen, 'cause it's goin' to be rainin' outdoors

The transcription above and what follows is from this URL:

http://blueslyrics.tripod.com/artistswithsongs/robert_johnson_1b.htm#top

 1 - the phrase "dry long so" is a dialectic description of being poor. In
the context of the Robert Johnson song it relates to not having enough food
and clothing and other essential things to last through the winter;
2 - possibly: "dry long so", meaning pointlessly, without a cause.
This phrase can be found in:
Robert Johnson, Come On In My Kitchen (Take 1), Skip James, Hard Time
Killing Floor

Frank Abate