ISO "Pittsburghese dictionaries", &c.

Drew Danielson drew.danielson at CMU.EDU
Mon Feb 19 19:22:10 UTC 2001

I am in search of those novelty books that attempt to represent
"Pittsburghese" words and pronunciations, preferably from the 1970s or
earlier.  Other items such as bumperstickers, greeting cards, teeshirts,
sports-team banners, or other knick knacks that include Pittsburghese
words, and have copyright or production dates on them, are also
welcome.  I am trying to get a sense of when Pittsburgh speech became
and item of public discussion among Pittsburghers, and I think that this
sort of memorabilia will provide good evidence.

So, if you are or you know of a packrat who'd have items like this in a
box up in the attic, please write me at drew.danielson at cmu.edu.  Please
let me know what the items are, when they are from (or when you came to
own them, if there's no date on them), and let me know how willing you'd
be to part with the items (I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for
a choice paperback or trinket), or at least a few photos of them.

Thanks,
Drew