Shoofly Pie

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Feb 20 19:54:56 UTC 2001

Barry reports:

Shoofly Pie (1924); Culinary Historians

SHOOFLY PIE

"Shoofly pie and apple pandowdy"
--sung on a Seinfeld episode

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has:
<<<<<

Also quoted in the comic strip "For Better, For Worse", which is written
and set in Canada but carried in the US by the Boston _Globe_ and, I
assume, many other papers as well. This was in a Sunday strip, maybe a year
ago or more, which is on my refrigerator at home. The mother and the
grandfather (her father) are driving along a highway through the rain with
the kids in the back. Mom and Gramps are singing old songs, a snatch of a
different one in each frame, with the implication that they're singing all
of each of these songs. One of them is

     Shoo-fly pie and apple pandowdy
     Make your eyes light up and your belly go "Howdy!"

(I may be slightly off on the words.) After about eight frames of this, we
see one of the kids sigh to another, "It's the window wipers, isn't it?"

The reason I keep that strip is my own warm memories of singing with my Dad
on long trips. But I didn't know this one.

-- Mark A. Mandel