Shoofly Pie

Mike Salovesh t20mxs1 at CORN.CSO.NIU.EDU
Wed Feb 21 01:07:44 UTC 2001

Responding to Barry's passing note about shooflhy pie,
Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:

>      Shoo-fly pie and apple pandowdy
>      Make your eyes light up and your belly go "Howdy!"
>
> (I may be slightly off on the words.)

Well yes, slightly:

        Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
        Makes your eyes light up,
        And your tummy say "Howdy."
        Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy
        I never get enough of that wonderful stuff.

        Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan dowdy
        makes the sun come out
        When Heavens are cloudy,
        Shoo Fly Pie and Apple Pan Dowdy,
        I never get enough of that wonderful stuff!

The best-known recording was by Dinah Shore, probably on RCA Victor,
where she had a long-term contract.  June Christy did a cover of the
song at Capitol Records. Peggy, looking over my shoulder, says she
remembers Jo Stafford recorded it, too -- and I one-upped right back by
saying that there also was a Stan Kenton recording.  The song was
popular right after WW II; date might have been 1946 (?).

It's Dinah Shore that you hear singing a bit of the song on a current
Lexis auto commercial.

I love it when some bit from my misspent youth turns out to be handy.

-- mike salovesh   <salovesh at niu.edu>   PEACE !!!