sprinkles/jimmies (was: Angel-Hair; Soft Ice Cream; Pizza Bagel; Sirloin Tips)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Tue Feb 20 20:11:18 UTC 2001

"Baker, John" <JBaker at STRADLEY.COM> writes:

        Yes, jimmies are everywhere in Boston.  When my wife (who grew up in
suburban Boston) was in school, she learned as an example of iambic
pentameter "I'll have ice cream with jimmies on it please."
<<<<<

Clink! Yeah, that would work in oral transmission... but when I *read* your
post, I automatically prosodized it as

     i'll have ICE cream with JIMmies on it PLEASE

I guess it's because I normally stress "ice cream" on the "ice".

-- Mark