Who is Eddy Peters?

Paul McFedries lists at MCFEDRIES.COM
Wed Feb 21 11:10:56 UTC 2001

My interpretation is that to say a foreignism is "borrowed" from another
language or that it's a "loanword" implies a civil transaction of some kind:
"Excuse me, German, may I borrow the word 'schadenfreude' to use when I see
someone taking pleasure out of the misfortune of other people? Thank you!"
However, English is so aggressive at incorporating foreignisms that the
"borrow" and "loan" metaphors are too prissy and bureaucratic. To account
for the sheer volume of foreignisms that the language has accumulated, a
theft metaphor might be more apt.

Paul