Melt (1956); Slush (1934)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 23 01:05:39 UTC 2001

   Baby, it's snowing outside.

MELT

   Some OED editor asked for "melt."  OED had 1976.  I previous posted 1972 (I believe) from NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS.
   From DINER, DRIVE-IN, September 1956, pg. 51, col. 1:

(Photo caption next to menu and food photo--ed.)
Taste-appealing "Patty-
Melt"--grilled cheese and
a hamburger patty--score
with Scrivner's customers.
Menu merchandising pro-
motes sandwich.

(Menu--ed.)
PUPPY-MELT    FEATURING KRAFT CHEESE
Melted Cheese Sandwich with a Grilled Hot Dog
40 cents
EGG-MELT   45 cents
Grilled Cheese and Scrambled Egg Sandwich
PATTY-MELT   45 cents
Grilled Cheese and a Hamburger Patty
HAM-MELT   55 cents
Grilled Cheese with Virginia Baked Ham

(Col. 2 of text--ed.)
   Scrivner's Drive-Ins in the Los Angeles area spotlight both a "patty-melt" and a king-size "bonus cheeseburger."
   An illustrated menu box promotes the "melt" sandwiches "featuring Kraft Cheese" for quality emphasis.  To make the patty-melt, two pieces of bread are placed on the griddle, a 3/4-oz. Kraft Ribbon Slice of cheese on...  (I didn't copy the next page--ed.)

SLUSH (continued)

June 1956, DINER DRIVE-IN, pg. 90, col. 1 ad:
A COOLING DRINK
THAT'S A "RED-HOT"
TRAFFIC BUILDER!
   _LEMON_
   _SLUSH_
DELICIOUS!...with a special tantalizing flavor that comes from fresh-picked lemons and other citrus fruits.  A drink that's served in semi-liquid form...so wonderfully different that customers actually go out of their way to order it!
   TRADE NAME "LEMON SLUSH"
   ADOPTED MARCH 1934 BY
   SMITH-JUNIOR COMPANY
SMITH-
JUNIOR
CO.
ROCHESTER, N.Y.
ORIGINATORS OF SYRUP BASE FLAVORS AND
ACIDULANT FOR SYRUPS, ICE CREAM, SHERBETS

May 1959, FAST FOOD, pg. 142, col. 1 ad:
LEMON
SLUSH!
  ORANGE
  SLUSH!
LIME
SLUSH!
  CHERRY
  SLUSH!
GRAPE
SLUSH! (...)
  SMITH-JUNIOR CO.
  12 SARATOGA AVE., ROCHESTER, N.Y.

May 1959, FAST FOOD, pg. 101 ad:
Antoher FIRST from HELMCO-LACY...
COUNTER TOP _FLAKE ICE_ MAKER-DISPENSER
now...ice is
a profit maker
instead of a nuisance item!
$30 to $40 a day extra profit from slush drinks and snow cones!
(...)
FLAKE ICE MACHINES, INC.
DIVISION OF
HELMCO-LACY
7400 W. Lawrence Ave., Chicago 31, Ill., Phone: UNderhill 7-7600

December 1959, FAST FOOD, pg. 80, col. 2:
_Snow Ball_
Poster features "Snow Ball" ice or slush confection; bears slogan "cool and refreshing...hits the spot when you're hot"; space for 3 price ranges.  The Maryland Cup Co., Dept. FF 1232, 1100 S. Eutaw St., Baltimore 30, Md.

June 1960, FAST FOOD, pg. 56, col. 1 ad:
a delightful,
refreshing
EATIN'
OR DRINKIN'
TREAT!
   GOLDENMOON
   Tan-Gee
   _SLUSHY_
   _DRINKS_
IN 3 DELICIOUS FLAVORS
 ORANGE
   . LEMON
      . GRAPE
These still water drinks are real money
makers.  Customers love the icy cold real
fruit flavor.  You'll profit by serving it two
ways...with a spoon for EATIN'...with
a straw for SIPPIN'.
   CLEVELAND FRUIT JUICE CO.
   MAIN OFFICE: HUMBOLDT, TENN.