Fountain Service slang

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Feb 23 04:14:38 UTC 2001

   From FAST FOOD, March 1960, pg. 40, col. 1:

_FOUNTAIN SERVICE_
By Harry Press
   I entered pharmacy about 39 years ago.  The first store I worked in had a soda fountain, and I fell in love with that end of the business.
   In those days, soda fountain workers had a language all their own.  In order to save (Col. 2--ed.) time, or just to be different, they used abbreviations or code words, or numbers for almost everything they ordered.
   Some of these were quite clever, but some were often embarrassing to the customers.  For this reason, most chain (Col. 3--ed.) stores and a great many independents have stopped using them.
   _Here are a few_ of the "codes" still used behind some fountains.
   Short one--small coke.
   Stretch one--large coke.
   Stretch one and paint it red--large coke with cherry.
   Burn one--malted milk.
   Burn one with a feather--malted milk and egg.
   Grade A--milk.
   Brown Cow--chocolate milk (on some fountains, this means a Rootbeer Malted with chocolate ice cream).
   Stack wet--chocolate ice cream, chocolate syrup.
   Haystack--strawberry ice cream.
   Hoboken--pineapple soda, chocolate ice cream.
   Broadway--chocolate soda, coffee ice cream.
   _I think the "codes"_ used for food items show more imagination:
   Radio--tuna fish sandwich.
   Radio down--tuna on toast.
   1000 on a Plate--baked beans.
   Clean up the kitchen--hash.
   Mother-in-law--tongue on rye.
   Adam and Eve on a raft--poached eggs on toast.
   Cowboy--western sandwich.
   Combo--Ham and cheese.
   Ace Tommy--grilled cheese and tomato.
   Full House--grilled cheese, tomato and bacon.
   Off the grass--No lettuce.
The ones I've listed are inocuous enough to be used on any fountain.  Some of them will get a smile or chuckle, and a smiling customer is usually a good customer.