Another grammatical Bushism

Sat Feb 24 14:52:45 UTC 2001

In a message dated 2/23/2001 4:35:47 PM, AAllan at AOL.COM writes:

<< While we're noting the President's pronouns, we shouldn't miss this:

"You teach a child to read, and he or her will be able to pass a literacy

test.''—Townsend, Tenn., Feb. 21, 2001

- Allan Metcalf

One of my students reports:

<<I was studying for my Old Testament midterm, I
ran across this quote.  I think it rings true for alot of us....

'But God said to Jonah, "Is it right for you to be angry about the
Bush?"[capitals mine] And he said, "Yes, angry enough to die."'>>

Obviously, Jonah was a stickler for prescriptive grammar. God, however,
sounds somewhat more tolerant of mixing grammatical case (if my discourse
analysis of the conversational implicature of the Question is correct).