"out of left field" (Why "left"?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Feb 28 02:55:22 UTC 2001

At 9:26 AM -0500 2/28/01, James A. Landau wrote:
>You have things reversed.  A right-handed "pull hitter" will generally
>deliver his long balls to left field...

Sorry--I posted my message on this thread before reading Jim's, which
made essentially the same points (except that he mentioned the
right-fielder throwing out runners on second trying to advance to
third on fly balls and I mentioned him/her throwing out runners on
first trying to advance to third on singles--both situations are in
fact relevant to why the stronger-armed slowfooted outfielder is
placed in right in higher levels of pro baseball).

larry