English muffins = glazed buns

Fri Jan 12 17:00:02 UTC 2001

> This reminds me of a similar conversation I had in
> England, at a pastry
> shop.  I asked what certain familiar looking items
> were called, to be informed
> that they were "glazed buns."  "Interesting," I
> replied; in the US we call
> them "English muffins." "Really," came the cool
> reply, "How odd.  Since
> they REALLY ARE glazed buns."  --Ed White

During an extended stay in England, the hotel where my
brother-in-law stayed asked if there was anything he
wanted regularly for breakfast.  His request for
English muffins was met with confused looks.  They
finally understood he meant crumpets, and thought it
novel that he wanted a tea pastry for breakfast.

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued