Computer Proverbs

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 16 19:33:54 UTC 2001

In a message dated Sun, 14 Jan 2001 18:28:48  Eastern Standard Time,   Fred
Shapiro <fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU>writes:

>I am collecting proverbs or catch-phrases relating to computers.  Examples
would
>be "Garbage in, garbage out" or "Do not fold, spindle or mutilate"
>or "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog."  Can anyone suggest other
>sayings of this nature?s

That should have been "Do not bend, fold, spindle, or mutilate."

WYSIWYG (acronym for "What you see is what you get") sounds like a proverb
but it isn't.  Rather it is a descriptive adjectival phrase, stating that
what is displayed on the monitor matches what will appear on the printer.

"to boot" a computer has nothing to do with footwear, kicking a
malfunctioning machine, or the apocryphal German training film for PC users
"DOS Boot".  Instead it is a shortening of "bootstrap", itself extracted from
the old saying "to pull oneself up by one's own bootstraps".  When a computer
is first brought into operation (known as a "cold start", as opposed to a
"warm start", in which software is still running from a previous use) a small
program known as a "bootstrap loader" has to be run to bring in a bigger
program which brought in etc. until all the necessary software was in the
computer's memory and ready to run.  In punch-card days bootstrapping a
computer could be a major effort.  Nowadays the bootstrap loader is in ROM
and almost invisible.

"three-finger salute" sounds obscene but isn't.  Instead it is the
Control-Alt-Delete key sequence needed to boot a PC-compatible.  By the way,
those three keys were chosen because with the original IBM PC keyboard it was
impossible to hit those three keys simultaneously by accident with one hand.

"hard reset" (to fix a problem by turning the power off and back on)

"deadly embrace" a type of computer gridlock e.g. program A is using tape
drive 1 and wants tape drive 2; program B is using drive 2 and wants drive 1;
neither can proceed until one program is cancelled

"race condition" situation in which two or more programs are running and the
outcome depends on which one gets started first

"aomic operation" a computer operation that cannot be interrupted before it
is completed

big-endian versus little endian—a term picked up from Gulliver's Travels.
Describes whether numbers are stored in a computer high-end first or low-end
first (a headache in certain types of programming)

FUD or "Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt" in the old days what IBM salesmen were
said to create in the mind of users contemplating using a competitor's
product.

"iron" computer hardware, with the connotation of either 1) mainframe
hardware or 2) obsolescence

"IBM and the Seven Dwarfs" IBM and its domestic competitors Burroughs,
Univac, National Cash Register, Control Data, Honeywell, General Electric and
RCA.  After the last two dropped out, the competitors became "the BUNCH".

"bit bucket" the mythical but much-cited destination for data that gets lost
during processing.  A one-time supervisor of mine preferred "that big
database in the sky".

"write-only memory" euphemism for not being able to remember something

"daisy-wheel" a type of printer common in the early 1980's but no longer seen

"golf ball" the type element for the once-omnipresent IBM Selectric
typewriter.  I had a friend who was descended from a long line of Marine
sergeants and habitually spoke as such. He also owned a Selectric.   I
unintentionally left him speechless one day when I needed some typewriter
cleaner and asked him, "Do you have any of that stuff you clean your balls
with?"

"gender-changer" or "gender-bender" a piece of equipment to join two male
plugs or two female plugs.  I requisitioned a gender-changer once and
Purchasing called me long-distance to ask if this were a joke?

"Winchester" the original name for what is now prosaically called a "hard
disk."  Named after the Winchester .30-30 rifle because the original model
stored 30 megabytes of data with an access time of 30 milliseconds.
                  James A. Landau
                  Systems Engineer
                  FAA Technical Center (ACT-350/BCI)
                  Atlantic City Airport NJ 08405 USA

P,.S. to Bapopil at AOL.COM:   Airplanes do not have "drive by wire".  Instead
they use "fly-by-wire", a term cited in Merriam-Webster's Tenth Collegiate as
dating from 1968 (the technique goes back at least to the Boeing B-17)