Hoogie (January 1941), Hogie (September 1943)

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 16 19:44:44 UTC 2001

In Philadelphia the Franklin Institute had for several years an exhibit on
"Shipbuilding in Philadelphia".   One of the displays was about the Hog
Island Shipyard and included the information that the "hoagie" was invented
and named for Hog Island.  Unfortunately the exhibit has been removed
sometime in the last year or so so I can't quote the exact text.  Someone
might want to contact the Franklin Institute for the evidence behind this
claim.

Also, somebody said
> >(Isn't a grinder a sandwich?...No submarine sandwiches in New
London/Groton
> >at all!--ed.)

This statement implies the theory that a "submarine sandwich" was so called
because it was consumed by sailors on submarines.  I was under the impression
the name originated because of the shape of the sandwich (I have heard the
bread used called a "torpedo roll"), in which case submariners and their
relatives in New London might not feel possessive about the name.

        Jim Landau