crumpets & muffins

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Jan 18 13:07:21 UTC 2001

I was in the train station today, reading my US-bought Harry Potter and
came across Harry and Ron eating English muffins.  I thought "I wonder
whether the original version had 'muffins' or 'crumpets'."  So, went to the
newstand, picked up the UK edition, and found the answer:  crumpets.

Now, why the editors at Scholastic Books think that "sorcerer" is the US
translation of "philosopher"...well, that's another matter.

Lynne

M Lynne Murphy
Lecturer in Linguistics
University of Sussex