Strictly a pronunciation question

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jan 20 08:54:42 UTC 2001

>Now now larry. What did the Brits name them?
>
>dInIs

Actually, a bit of research reveals that it was the birth mother
(nice retronym) herself who named them Kiara and Keyara, and then put
them up on the web for adoption, presumably because they couldn't
tell them apart with the neutralized vowels and all.  The British
couple, the Kilshaws, re-named them Kimberley and Belinda, which have
the virtue of being phonologically distinct.  The
California couple, the Allens, evidently are willing to retain the
girls' birth names, but maybe that factor shouldn't be absolutely
decisive in itself.

larry