Mississippi Mud Cake/Pie (both 1975)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 25 23:00:45 UTC 2001

MARSHALL COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
BICENTENNIAL COOK BOOK
HOLLY SPRINGS, MISSISSIPPI
(1975)

Pg. 117, col. 1:
   MISSISSIPPI MUD PIE
16 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
1/4 C. melted butter
1 1/2 pints softened coffee flavored ice cream
1/4 C. chocolate fudge sauce
   Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter.  Line bottom of pie plate and put in freezer for 20 minutes.  Spoon ice cream into pie shell.  Cover with fudge sauce.  Return to freezer until sauce hardens.
   A deluze company pie.
Olive Mae Fore
Chulahoma

Pg. 146, col. 2:
   MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE
1 C. butter
1/2 C. cocoa
2 C. sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 1/2 C. chopped nuts
1 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. vanilla
Pinch salt
Temp. 350 degrees
Cooking Time 35-45 min.
   Melt butter and cocoa together.  Remove from heat.  Stir in sugar and mix well.  Add beaten eggs, flour, salt, nuts and vanilla.  Mix well and pour into 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan.  When cake is done, sprinkle miniature marshmallows on hot cake and make chocolate frosting below.
   CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 lb. confectioners sugar
1/2 C. whole milk
1/3 C. cocoa
1/2 stick butter
   Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy and of spreading consistency--and pour over marshmallow topping.
Olive Mae Fore
Chulahoma

June 1978, GOURMET magazine, pg. 81, col. 2:
Q.  We recently dined at a charming restaurant in Provincetown, Massachusetts, called Front Street.  For dessert we had Mississippi mud cake, a memorable chocolate treat.  Do you think you could satisfy my sweet tooth with the recipe?
MRS. GEORGE DALSHEIMER
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND

A.  Edmond Di Stasi and Howard Gruber were pleased to send this recipe down by the riverside.
_Mississippi Mud Cake Front Street_
_(Fudge Cake)_
(Long recipe follows--ed.)