Mississippi Mud Cake/Pie (both 1975)

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 25 23:58:13 UTC 2001

>Pg. 146, col. 2:
>   MISSISSIPPI MUD CAKE

The recipe given is essentially one for brownies, rather dry ones at that.

I've been watching this topic with some interest. Mississippi mud seems to
be a very rich brownie served with some sort of ultra sweet, ultra-rich,
ultra-chocolate sauce. The homemade American varieties seem to base the
sauce on pudding, and (yuck) melted marshmallows. My one memory from a
restaurant's version is that the sauce was like a chocolate mousse or a
"chocolate mayonnaise" (there did not seem to be whipped cream or egg white
in the sauce, but I suspect there was egg yolk).