WAITRON in ....

Barnhart barnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Fri Jan 26 11:19:10 UTC 2001

Doug Wilson wrote:

>It appears in AHD4 and in the Random House dictionary (RH apparently
>agrees
>with my etymology). There are plenty of instances on the Web.

This thread is very interesting.

Waitron is an entry in the Dictionary Companion (Vol. 4.4, Winter 1985, p
152).  The earliest date I had at the time was 1980.

I agree that the pronunciation that I prefer is with a low back vowel; I
have never heard examples that would be represented with a schwa, as in
"Washington."  Incidently, some dictionary pronunciation editors have
opted for an implied tertiary stress.  In such systems, "neutron" would
have a low back vowel (often represented by "o") without a secondary
stress mark, as I recall.

Regards,
David Barnhart

David K. Barnhart, Editor
The Barnhart Dictionary Companion [quarterly]
barnhart at highlands.com
www.highlands.com/Lexik

"Necessity obliges us to neologize."
Thomas Jefferson-August 16, 1813