I could care less (was: schedule)

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Jan 31 16:10:29 UTC 2001

David Bergdahl <bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU> writes:

Tony Glaser wrote:
> And another Americanism vs. Englishism - when did "I couldn't care
> less" get turned into it's exact opposite "I could care less" even
> when the speaker means the former. I have never heard the latter in
> England, or the former in the US.

Now isn't that funny... I've always thought "I could care less" was the
original Yiddishism or Yinglish, with the negative inserted by people
who didn't know the 22421 intonation pattern (using the old Trager-Smith
notation).
<<<<<

How about "As if I could care less"?

-- Mark