FW: Count usage for "software"

Sun Jul 1 17:24:19 UTC 2001

Has the countable use of software or code (where it is used as
programming code) become acceptable or even occasional in the US?

Benjamin Barrett
Tukwila, WA
Gambling, gamboling and more at the Riverside Inn in Tukwila!

-----Original Message-----
From: chandler at yomogi.or.jp [mailto:chandler at yomogi.or.jp]

I frequently encounter (on the HTML help list, or photography list
for
example) usages such as "a software", not to mention "a code" and so
on,
which strike me as, well, wrong, in that I never heard them in the
years
I was involved with programming and so on. I have here a document
for
which I'm translating some paste-in amendments; here's a sample
paragraph:

  Help for Each Software

  To learn in details the usage of a software, please read its Help.

To me this is horribly wrong, but involves "changing" to a different
word, like 'program'. But I'd welcome opinions - such as that the
countable usages are becoming acceptable; or that despite there
being
almost as many "a software"s as "wierd"s on the web, informed usage
is
as I would expect.

Brian Chandler
geo://Sano.Japan.Planet_3