Pork Scratches on the Whipped Cream Front

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 2 17:28:12 UTC 2001

   Greetings from an airport in Copenhagen.  I fly from here to Greenland.  I had a brief airport stop before in Iceland (where I go after Greenland).

WHIPPED CREAM FRONT--Denmark during the Nazi period.  There's only one Google.com hit, but the Copenhagen tour guide used it.

PORK SCRATCHES--Are these pork rinds?  The airport bar serves them, called Flaeskesvaer.

WEINERBROD--The "Danish" pastry here in Copenhagen.

DANISH MEATBALLS--meatballs served with red cabbage, cucumber salad, potatoes and sauce. (From airport menu--ed.)

"BIKSEMAD"--cubed beef, potatoes, onions and fried egg.

SCATTERED-SITE HOUSING--On the cover of Sunday's NEW YORK POST.

JIGSAW LEARNING--A large story in today's USA TODAY (coined by Elliot Aronson?).

AN ICELANDIC COOKBOOK
by Aslaug Benedikstdottir
Iceland Review, Reykjavik
1993, reprinted 2000

   A 31-pager with illustrations.

Pg. 3:  The Mermaid's Favourite.  (Haddock--ed.)
Pg. 7:  Plokkfiskur.
Pg. 11:  Hotel Saga's Meatballs.
Pg. 19:  Icelandic Meat Soup.
Pg. 21:  Icelandic Pancakes.
Pg. 23:  Grandmother's Oatmeal Biscuits.
Pg. 27:  Kleinur.