Twelve Words for Ice (Greenland, Denmark expressions)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 4 01:28:18 UTC 2001

At 11:33 PM -0400 7/3/01, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>BLOWING A PELLICAN--Danish weather expression like "raining cats and dogs."
>
>EAGLE--good (Danish).
>
>DOG--to fancy something, such as "he's a dog for soccer" (Danish).

Maybe we should notify the Greeland branch of the "Animal-friendly
sayings" organization.
Perhaps they won't object to "eagle" meaning 'good'; it's certainly
less offensive than hitting an eagle (or, for that matter, a birdie)
in golfers' English.  (Henceforth, a birdie shall be known as an
unbogey and an eagle a double unbogey.)  The Greenlanders' "be a dog
for" is dubious, though, and the first of the above expressions must
*certainly* be suppressed.

larry