"cheese hound" -- query

Fri Jul 6 11:46:24 UTC 2001

Gerald,

In my speech (laid down in Louisville KY in the 1940's) , a "cheese
hound" refers both literally to the fact that the dog likes cheese
and will hunt all over a room to find even a tidbit of it and to the
fact that this in-the-house training makes the dog useless ("cheesy")
for field sports.

In the quote you cited, there appears to be no connection with the
well-known "X+hound" construction (many of which are sexual) in which
the "hound" lusts after "X" (and is usually a person not a dog).

I suspect your quote makes fun of a dog worthless for hunting (with
its amazing multilingual tail-wagging ability). I would be surprised
if there were no old-timers down your way who are not familiar with
this "cheese hound" = "good-for-nothing dog."

As I recall, there is also "biscuit hound" (or "bisuit-eating dog")
from other regions of the south used to refer to a table-scraps fed
dog, which, acocoding to hunting dog owners, makes dogs "soft" and no
good for the field. (See "biscuit-eater" DARE vol. 1 , p. 246.
"Cheese-eater" is also there - p. 603 - but only from
African-Americans and in what, IMHO, may be an extended sense from
the canine original.)

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston