"candle arbor"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 6 06:56:05 UTC 2001

At 2:04 PM -0400 7/6/01, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>The curmudgeon awakens to cudgel the Boston _Globe_.

Wonderful, Mark  Let us (or me, anyway) know if they print your
comment. I do think you're being a bit harsh on Ms. Travers,
though--a candle arbor would provide just the right mood for spending
quality time with one's power-mower...
============
"Meanwhile, Richard Parker Bowles, brother of Camilla's ex-husband,
Andrew, said that from the beginning Camilla approved of Charles'
marrying Diana while she remained his power mower."
                                  Richmond Times-Dispatch, quoted in
                                  New Yorker, 1/22/95, p. 83

P.S.  If anyone else was curious, here's the complete context of the
citation Mark caught, courtesy of Nexis (this was, Mark will be
relieved to hear, the ONLY hit on "candle arbor" listed on Nexis,
==============
The Boston Globe
July 5, 2001, Thursday ,THIRD EDITION

SECTION: LIFE AT HOME; Pg. H1

HEADLINE: IN STEPS, A HOME, FAMILY ARE FORGED

BYLINE: By Rachel Travers, Globe Correspondent

LINCOLN - Scott Burk has known since he was 7 that this plot of
family land was where he wanted to live when he grew up.

Now 44, he and his wife, Lucinda, have quite literally made the place
their home. They felled the trees for lumber, cleared land for the
foundation, collected rocks for the fireplace, and built the house
together.

Each step of the way, as they figured out what needed to be done to
create their 2000-square-foot house and home, their mutual response
was always, "I can do that." Money was no object because they didn't
have much. Being resourceful was always the challenge. This is the
Burk approach to life: trade, barter, conserve. It has worked
remarkably well.

"We knew what we had to do," said Scott. "It was more than the normal
building project; we did it all."

With a blacksmithing forge in the old foundation of the barn area,
before there was a structure or a roof, Scott even created the
hardware he would need. Ultimately, all the drawer pulls, hooks,
hinges, shelf brackets, andirons, curtain rods, lantern holders,
thumb-latches, ladles, kitchen utensils, even a candle arbor were
made by hand.

Handmade, no less, and why not?  Nothing tackier than a store-bought
mass-produced candle arbor, I always say.

larry