Tea & Pee

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 12 02:16:42 UTC 2001

At 5:50 PM -0400 7/11/01, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>Allen writes:
>

>I remember it as "Take [not 'drink'] tea and see". I don't remember the
>brand (I love it when that happens, especially with hot new ads), but it
>was almost certainly Tetley or another mass brand.
>
>(I also remember parodying it as "Take TNT... and see!")
>
><time out>
>
>Salada!

ah, yes

"Take tea and see--
Make it hefty, hot, and hearty"

as a paper on a web site
(http://www.medialiteracy.net/research/survivalcourse.pdf ) points
out, this strong alliterative message was part of a campaign to
associate tea with the masculine virtues, instead of its then
standard stereotype as an anti-virile beverage appropriate for
"spinster living in third-floor walk-up sitting in rocker with kitten
on her lap, doily on her head, sipping tea while looking out the
window."

larry