personal dative

Sat Jul 14 13:37:36 UTC 2001

Sonja,

I think you are essentially right, although it has spread to other
South Midland (and South Midland influenced) areas. I (Louisville
flatlander) have it. I'd write to Michael Montgomery (South Carolina)
if I were you. I seem to recall a paper by him and one of his
colleagues on this very topic at an NWAV (Philadelphia?) some years
ago, but haven't seen it in print. As I recall they were trying to
develop a semantic constrast between sentences with and without the
personal dative (withm, as you would expect at an NWAV, lots of
authentic examples). If I'm wrong, I'm gonna get me a new head.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages