personal dative

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Sat Jul 14 15:34:33 UTC 2001

On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 00:23:07 +0800 Laurence Horn

>"I'm gonna git me a new pickup/shotgun"

When I've heard that construction it is often, "I'm gunna take 'n git me
a new pickup" (Well, used actually.) I've always wondered where tha "take
and" part comes from. My grandmother (rural NE PA b. 1907) used it
constantly. Am I correct that these two often go together? How widespread
is the "take and"?

>"I'm gonna git me a new BMW/laser printer", but it's making inroads.

I suspect this is a deliberate ironic ruralism.