Brautigan, Brats and Brauts

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 14 19:57:59 UTC 2001

dInIs writes

>PS: Now that I think about it, there might be a third possibility.
>The homography of "brat" the sausage with "brat" the misbehaving kid
>was so annoying to bratwurst-land sausage gobblers that they
>purposely respelled the word to avoid the homography. (Since the
>pronunciation was well-known, there would be no temptation to create
>a homophone with "brought.")

Think of Richard Brautigan, the author. The first syllable is a homophone of
'bra', at least as I've always done it (no one's ever corrected me).

My misspelling is rather like that of 'cammo' being short for 'camoflage'. I
subconsciously conformed spelling to meet the needs of pronunciation. But
brot or brawt would have been better.

I find fodder for interest in my errors .