Icelandic terms

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue Jul 17 19:51:39 UTC 2001

At 03:10 PM 7/17/01 -0400, you wrote:
>    To answer the question attached to the "mysa" post, "mysa" has been in
> several English-language pamphlets that I've read.  Whether that's
> "clearly attested" English is for the OED to decide.
>    "Mysa and skyr" were used in the same sentence; OED has the latter but
> not the former.  OED is revising "m" and the editors will ultimately make
> the call if "mysa" gets in.
>    I'm a field-worker here, and I wouldn't do justice by not providing
> such words from local English-language materials.
True, but I'd expect English-language pamphlets to do this regularly for
tourists, business people, etc.  In Scandinavia, I'd obviously want to know
what smorbrod and pulss (I don't recall the spellings exactly) are before I
taste them.  (BTW, the latter, a kind of homemade stuffed sausage/"hot
dog," was made in Minnesota by my grandmother 60 years and more ago, so I'm
not surprised that the English term 'hot dog'' is used in those countries
now; the product isn't new, but the loanword is.)

Beverly Olson Flanigan         Department of Linguistics
Ohio University                     Athens, OH  45701
Ph.: (740) 593-4568              Fax: (740) 593-2967

More information about the Ads-l mailing list