/ly/ vs. /y/

Thu Jul 19 18:09:47 UTC 2001

The paper was written in English (since we're a Linguistics dept, not a
Mod.Lgs. one).  It is not "officially" a thesis (we have a research paper
alternative, just as rigorous but generally shorter and not bound by
University committee and timeline rules), so it's not in OU's electronic
database; but I'll contact Mariella and she can send you a copy if she wishes.

Incidentally, I noticed in going through her paper again that two competing
prestige norms are present in Peru, or at least in the Arequipa
region:  One of her sources found that urban women (and men) look to the
Lima standard (which is /y/ or 'yeismo'), but rural (Andean) women adopt
the /ly/ as used in Cuzco, which they perceive as a more likely place to
migrate to for jobs than Lima would be.  Ironically, the middle and upper
class women of Cuzco (but not men) are changing to /y/ because they want to
move to (or identify with) Lima.  Competing norms based on socioeconomic
realities are not unusual, of course.