Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sat Jul 21 12:13:07 UTC 2001

>I wondered if anybody has ever heard the word "turtle" used to refer to
>the "trunk" or "boot" of a car?

I haven't, but I have a vague recollection of encountering "turtleback" in
this or a similar sense. "Turtleback" is in Webster's Third, as meaning a
rounded projection on the rear of a vehicle -- i.e., the trunk, in most
cars, I guess. I suppose during a certain era the typical trunk [lid]
resembled a turtle's carapace.

Quick Web glance shows "turtle", "turtleback", "turtle hull" [Okla.], and
"turtle hunk" (!?) [Texas] for "[car] trunk".

-- Doug Wilson

More information about the Ads-l mailing list