Treasured Armenian Recipes (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jun 2 23:49:16 UTC 2001

TREASURED ARMENIAN RECIPES
Published by
THE DETROIT WOMEN'S CHAPTER
of the
AMRMENIAN GENERAL BENEVOLENT UNION, INC.
250 Fifth Avenue, NY NY
1949

   This is an interesting book to read with OMAR KHAYYAM (1944).  I had planned to do an Armenia/Georgia/Azerbaijian trip, but I'm waiting for the political border situation to be settled.

PHOTOS (front of the book):
Cheoreg, Lahmajoon, Artichokes with Olive Oil
Bourma
Katah, Coffee Cake, Cheoreg
Paklava, Kurabia, Bourma
Harpoot Kufta

Pg. 15:
   _MADZOON_
(Yogurt--Sour Cream in Custard Form)

Pg. 73:
LAHMAJOON (Flat cakes covered with Meat Mixture)
(A second Armenian citation for "Turkish pizza"--ed.)

Pg. 75:
MANTI (Dough With Meat)

Pg. 76:
SOU-BEOREG NO. 1  (Paste With Cheese)

Pg. 84:
KATAH NO. 1 (Armenian Coffee Cake)

Pg. 121:
   GLOSSARY OF BASIC WORDS
ARPA SHEHRIEH--Noodle dough cut into small pieces.
BEOREG--Dough with filling, sometimes a vegetable with a filling
BRAISING--Browning meat in small amount of fat, then covering and cooking slowly in a small amount of water.
BULGHOUR--Cooked, dried, the broken wheat.  Comes in 3 sizes.
CHAIMAN--A spice-Fenugreek.
CHEOREG--Tea roll or biscuit.
DOLMA--Stuffed with meat mixture.
DZEDZADZ--Barley
HELVA--A sweet paste like mixture.
IMRIG--Farina or cream of wheat.
KATAH--Plain coffee cake.
KEBAB--Barbecued.
KEYMA--Ground meat mixture or any mixture.
KIMION--A spice-ground Cumin Seed
KUFTA--Meat mixture shaped in patty or ball form.
MADZOON--Yogurt
(Pg. 122-ed.)
MAHLEB--A seed for flavor.  A grain resembling Cherrystone, which grows in Azerbaijian.
MIDIA--Mussels
PAGLA--Fava Beans
PATLIJAN--Eggplant
PILAF--Armenian style cooked rice or bulghour.
PLAKI--Cooked with assorted vegetable cubes and olive oil.
RAHAN--Sweet Basil-spice
SARMA--Rolled with rice or meat mixture.
SAUTEING--Cooking in small amount of fat.
SESAME SEED--Seeds of an East Indian herb.
SHEHRIEH--Very fine noodles.
SHISH--Skewer.
SIMIT--Tea Roll or biscuit, thinner than cheoreg.
SUMAC--A spice.
TAHEEN--The oil of the sesame seed.
WHEAT--Skinless whole kernel of wheat.
YAHNI--Cooked with onions and olive oil.