official english legislation

Duane Campbell dcamp911 at JUNO.COM
Mon Jun 4 00:22:23 UTC 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 15:31:07 EDT Douglas Bigham <TlhovwI at AOL.COM> writes:
> Short of being "truly ignorant", I have some questions.  Doesn't
> point (2) of the proposal have some value and truth?

You are a brave man, Mr. Bigham

I find this discussion disturbing for a couple of reasons. First is the
monochromatic tone.  And just to be sure, there was a preemptive strike
early on, labeling rather viciously anyone who might take a different
position. As so often happens, the call for diversity and open debate
applies only to opinions and cultures one chooses to tolerate.

Secondly: As stated,  this is a predominantly political question, not
really a matter of language. Political issues are supposedly proscribed
here. But again, that seems to be the case only where there is not near
universal agreement.

My daughter is working on her doctorate. She thinks she wants to be an
academic. I have been forwarding this thread on to her.