official english legislation

Greg Pulliam pulliam at IIT.EDU
Mon Jun 4 01:33:06 UTC 2001

Duane et al,

Families who move to the USA inevitably learn English.  By the third
generation, there is usually very little left of the old language.
Immigrants know they need English;  they want to learn English.  They
don't need laws to tell them that they and their children need
English to succeed in the United States.

So we must ask "Why are unnecessary laws being proposed?"  The answer
is that there must be another motive--in this case the only
conceivable one (based on the text of the legislation) is to make it
harder for new immigrants to gain citizenship--a motive that should
be abhorrent to everyone in this nation of immigrants.

The sponsor of this legislation is Bob Barr.  If you and your
daughter are not repelled by this man and his agenda, then you are
probably wise to advise her to get out of academia.

Greg Pulliam