name of the quake = Nisqually

Alice Faber faber at ALVIN.HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Sat Mar 3 18:37:11 UTC 2001

Well, I thought David was pointing out the "official" name of the
earthquake (as opposed to things like Seattle Rattler and the like that
were bandied about here earlier in the week). But, now that you mention it,
"looks to be" seems totally unexceptionable to me. (Maybe it's a New York
thang.) It's subtly different from "seems to be", but I'm not sure exactly
how, perhaps stylistically; it might be a bit "folksier".

As to Tom's question, the "head-scratcher" is, I would imagine,
seismological rather than geographic or linguistic.

--
Alice Faber                                       tel. (203) 865-6163
Haskins Laboratories                              fax  (203) 865-8963
270 Crown St                                   faber at haskins.yale.edu
New Haven, CT 06511                               afaber at wesleyan.edu