dialect in novels

lesa.dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Sun Mar 4 03:48:59 UTC 2001

We're getting two different things tangled up here I think.  One is the
artifice--novels that use or pretend to use dialect.  I suppose there are or
could be rules for the writers of such things, although the rules must by
default be as much of a failure as the novels written in them.  The "rules" of
the real-world dialect, however, are a prescriptivist sticky wicket I want no
part of.  You write them and, Bob, you are right, you spend the remainder of
your linguistic life defining the multitudinous exceptions, which only grow
greater with the years.  (It does sound like what lawyers do!)