dialect in novels

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Wed Mar 7 16:11:50 UTC 2001

Bob Fitzke <fitzke at VOYAGER.NET> writes:

"Dennis R. Preston" wrote:
> >The rule gets negated when somebody comes up with a better one
> >(i.e., one which "covers" more of the exceptions). The humdrum life
> >of science.
> dInIs

Or, perhaps, when enough of the exceptions coalesce to form a new rule
of their own; sort of a "rule within a rule". A type of speciation?
<<<<<

We call it a "subregularity". Or at least, iirc, that's what George Lakoff
called it when I was studying "syntax" with him at Berkeley in the
seventies.

-- Mark A. Mandel