Filet Mignon (FRENCH COOK, 1835)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 4 18:05:24 UTC 2001

   OED and Merriam-Webster have "filet mignon" from 1906.  That citation is from O. Henry.  Yes, this stuff is that bad.
   This classic book was first published in 1813.  I have only the 1835 edition before me.  OED cites it for "baba" in an 1827 edition, but misses everything else!

THE FRENCH COOK,
A SYSTEM OF FASHIONABLE AND ECONOMICAL COOKERY,
ADAPTED TO THE USE OF OF ENGLISH FAMILIES
By LOUIS EUSTACHE UDE
THIRTEENTH EDITION, CORRECTED AND ENLARGED
LONDON
EBERS AND CO., OLD BOND STREET.
1835

176 Filets Mignons of Beef Sautes a la Lyonnaise (Small Fillets of Beef fried the Lyons way)...78
(...)
696 Potatoe Croquettes...322

(OED has 1876 for "potato croquette."  Well, gotta go to Columbia University and get caught in a snowstorm--ed.)