Hispanofranglais

Boatti, Stephen SBoatti at TVRATINGS.COM
Mon Mar 5 17:04:48 UTC 2001

This shows that it's not only Americans who are ignorant of the origins of
words.

Steve

 -----Original Message-----
From:   David M. Robertson [mailto:dmsnake at usit.net]
Sent:   Sunday, March 04, 2001 11:46 AM
Subject:        Hispanofranglais

I saw a TV news segment last night on a new French law mandating that there
be
women candidates for certain elective offices. They interviewd a French
female
politician who (speaking English) said something like: Politics in France
has been
a male culture, or, as we say in French, a "macho" culture.

She pronounced it in what I would consider the British fashion, as
"match-o." This
would make me think that it was adopted into French from British English,
rather
than directly from Spanish, or even from American English.

   Snake