Hispanofranglais

Boatti, Stephen SBoatti at TVRATINGS.COM
Mon Mar 5 19:58:02 UTC 2001

My comment had to do with the French speaker's remark, "as we say in
French." To me this implied she either did not know (was ignorant) that the
word is Spanish in origin, or that it has been borrowed into English and
thus needs no explanation to an English speaker, or both. My comment, while
flip, was not pejorative, just factual.

Steve

 -----Original Message-----
From:   Beverly Flanigan [mailto:flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU]
Sent:   Monday, March 05, 2001 2:20 PM
To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:        Re: Hispanofranglais

"Ignorance" is not the issue here.  Words are generally adapted to local or
in-country pronunciation norms, no matter the country.  The French source
clearly knows what the word means; she's simply changed the
pronunciation--or borrowed the British pronunciation, as Robertson
suggests.  We've discussed this phenomenon several times on the list, I
believe.