NEH Regional Center

Kirk Hazen khazen2 at WVU.EDU
Thu Mar 8 21:12:28 UTC 2001

Dear Folk,

This is Kirk Hazen at West Virginia University.  I signed on to the list a
few days ago, and I have to admit that it has been fairly exciting so far.

I am doing some work for a proposed NEH regional center based at Ohio U. I
am heading up a Roundtable On Languages and Dialects (ROLD) and have
included a copy of the preliminary report below.  I would like some
feedback as to what kinds of research opportunities would be ideal and
whether the items mentioned in the report are desirable or what would be
better? At this point, don't think practically, just dream.  I have no
personal investment in these ideas, so feel free to take them apart.

If you would prefer, you can email me directly at khazen2 at wvu.edu.

Thanks,
Kirk

Proposed Topics:

For all of these proposed activities, it should be noted that people want
to make sure that English is not the only language discussed. Languages as
diverse as American Sign Language (ASL), Spanish, and Native American
languages need to play a regular part in every activity which involves
language. The key goal for such a design stipulation to these scholarly
efforts is to keep in front of both professional researchers, students, and
the general public the basic truth that all human languages work equally
well even if they are not all equally socially valued.

Almost none of these ideas below were suggested by any one contact in its
form as seen here. Many ideas were combined under umbrella ideas.
Ø       Language Archive of Video and Audio (LAVA): LAVA would be both a
depository for new material and an active research entity collecting
together recordings of both sounded and signed languages across the region.
The archive would contain recordings, corresponding typescripts, and a
database of biographical and linguistic data related to the recordings.
Scholars and students who used LAVA for research work would then contribute
their analyzed data to the LAVA database system, so that over the years we
would gain a much more thorough understanding of the linguistic processes
in the archive. As an interdisciplinary effort, LAVA could also collect
writing samples of various stages of student work (and hopefully of
students whose interviews might be in LAVA also); this work would allow
much needed research on the interaction of language variation, writing, and
literacy.
Ø       Online Language Academy (OLA): OLA gathers together several
different online projects for widely divergent audiences. Addressing the
range, between K-12 teachers and students, college classrooms, and the
general public, OLA provides access to portions of the oral archives and
corresponding typescripts for those archives (i.e., LAVA). Signed languages
would be included in a video archive. From these resources, scholars could
conduct dialect and corpus surveys from their home institutions across the
region. Teachers working with the project would design day-long and
week-long curriculum for different grade levels directed towards dialect
studies within subregions and for the entire region. Teachers in each state
could print these lessons off the web, and then play the corresponding
archive exercises off of a DVD or the web itself. For schools with computer
classrooms, interactive web lessons may be designed (with sound and video
streaming); such lessons would also work well within a "kids' dialect site"
which parents may find educational and nonthreatening. In such a manner,
students would be learning through community-based experience, since the
archives would increasingly be built from local community interviews.
Research lessons for students could then be designed to lead them through
the oral archives. Their work would then become part of the permanent
collection.
Ø       Regional Interactive Language List (RILL): This initiative would
contain both static documents designed as online "flyers" for public
consumption and an interactive set of chat rooms. The online flyers would
be modeled on those of the LSA (FAQ
<http://www.lsadc.org/web2/faq/faq.htm>) and cover relevant topics for our
region (e.g., Appalachian English, Native American languages, region
specific ethnic variation).  The chat rooms would allow the interested
public from across the region a chance to virtually meet and discuss common
interests. Expert monitors would be set up to respond to unanswered
questions in the classroom and watch for hate speech.
Ø       High school honors program for young scholars interested in
regional language scholarship. This program may take the form of either
curricula designed for high school honors classes or even visiting teachers
from universities.
Ø       CD-Rom atlas of the region (following Labov, William, Sharon Ash, &
Charles Boberg. 2001. The Atlas of North American English. Mouton de
Gruyter. See <http://ling.upenn.edu/phono_atlas/home.html> for details.)

Kirk Hazen, PhD
Director, West Virginia Dialect Project
dialect at wvu.edu