Costa Rican slang dictionary

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Mar 18 22:12:08 UTC 2001

DICCIONARIO DE
LENGUAJE TABU Y
EXPRESSIONES
COLOQUIALES DE
COSTA RICA
by Joe Antonio Gonzalez Ugalde
and Amy Smith
No date; no publisher
119 pages paperback; $25

   Signs were up for this book around town (the author supposedly lives here in Quepos):

   THIS IS
THE MOST UP-TO-DATE DICTIONARY OF COSTA RICAN SLANG.  THE DICTIONARY HAS ALL THE POSSIBLE EQUIVALENTS AND A COMPLETE TRANSLATION IN ENGLISH.  CHECK IT OUT!

   Robert Chapman is credited as an inspiration in the Dedication.  His 1986 edition is cited; the RHHDAS is not cited, nor is the OED.  Credit is given in the Bibliography to Victoria Neufeldt and WEBSTER'S NEW WORLD DICTIONARY (1995), NUEVO DICCIONARIO DE COSTARRIQUENISMOS (1996), and DICCIONARIO PRACTICO DE LA LENGUA ESPANOLA (1998).
   The internet woman here doesn't think too much of this stuff, for what that's worth.

Pg. 16:  a picha pelada
Pg. 17: _bareback_ adv. Without using a condom.

Pg. 18:  ahorcaria
Pg. 19:  _to choke the chicken_ v. phr. To masturbate, a male.

Pg. 18:  al chile
Pg. 19:  _hell yeah!_

Pg. 20:  anillo
Pg. 21:  _asshole_

(The following are listed as "p.c.u." for "Possible Counterpart Unknown," or "n.p.c." for "No Possible Counterpart.")

acaso
acochis
aguila (A Costa Rican popular beer labeled "imperial.")
al propio
al rato
alistarse
amanecer
asi murio un chino
botado, da
brete
breteador, ra
bretear
cahco envuelto
caer bien
caer en la pura picha
caer mal
caliente culos
camanance
cana
chemis
chepe (A nickname for those whose name is Jose.)
chimar
chonete
choricear
choricero, ra
chozon
cuerero
echarselo
el
el que no llora no mama
emplasticar
esos chancos comen guineo?
estriladera
fresco, ca
gato, ta
grena
guabero, ra
guata
guatearse
hace un pichazo
hacer una vuelta
hermanillo, lla
horno de microondas
ir a escorar a
irsele arriba
jacha
jartarse
la
la vara es
largo
latir
lapicero
leva
libra
llevarse
me cago en las tetas de Ofelia!
me corto la picha si (no)
media teja
mediopolvo
meterselo
militar
nangazo
pulpo
que color!
quedarse tirando lineas
rojo
ruliar
soplar
teja
tetona
tigra
tranzar
tucan
volarsela
volversele la rosca

(Let me know if anyone wants a copy, although I probably won't be near this shop again--ed.)