Murphy's Law in 1941

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 19 14:56:05 UTC 2001

I hope the "tease" aspect of this posting does not outweigh its
informational value.

In the course of doing research for the forthcoming Yale Dictionary of
Quotations, I have come across a version of Murphy's Law (the proverb
itself, not the name "Murphy's Law") dated 1941.  It is not from an
aviation or engineering context.  Because I don't want Bartlett's or the
Oxford Dictionary of Quotations to get this before my book is published
(it's very unlikely Bartlett's would pick it up from ADS-L, but possible
that ODQ would), I regret that I cannot give details at this time.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,