Scots-Irishisms

Wed Mar 21 20:24:54 UTC 2001

The traditional term for the area we're talking about is the Midland
dialect area, which, as Tim Frazer has pointed out, starts in
Pennsylvania.  The cut between North Midland and South Midland starts in
western PA and extends down the Appalachian plateau into southern Ohio,
southern Indiana, and southern Illinois.  (Some cuts split West Virginia
into No Mid and So Mid, but I'm not sure that's appropriate.)  Columbus is
in the North Midland, but in- and out-migration causes "bleedings" of forms
northward and southward across these lines; in fact, "needs + p.p. -ed/-en"
is spreading all through the general Midland and westward (see surveys by
Tom Murray and Beth Simon).

I'm waiting for more responses on "brigady."  My native speaker informant
some years ago defined it as "rowdy, rambunctious, wild, ornery" so I'm not
sure about the "biggity/smarty pants" idea.