eye dialect

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Mar 26 06:34:55 UTC 2001

Dennis Preston's posts are always difficult to attribute. I think he wrote
all of this, to include both quote levels:

>>I use 'dialect' very broadly (to cover social and stylistic levels).
>>I think I'm not alone. For me, thereefore, since 'gonna' reflects an
>>actual pronunciation difference (however badly), it is not
>>'eye-dialect.'
>

>dInIs (whose respelled name is rather obviously not eye-dialect for
>the 'I' but is for the single 'n'))

It would be nice if the linguists gave us a set of words (probably NOT
formed on 'lect) that adequately let us describe the serial levels up from
'idiolect' (the language of me myself) up to something resembling
'independent language' (current Swedish vs. current Danish), and maybe,
something beyond this. David Crystal could do this.